Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Title: A new phenomenon: shifted identical yrast bands in neighboring even-even nuclei
Authors: Jones, E. F. 
Gore, P. M. 
Hamilton, J. H. 
Ramayya, A. V. 
Lima, A. P. de 
Dodder, R. S. 
Kormicki, J. 
Hwang, J. K. 
Beyer, C. J. 
Zhang, X. Q. 
Zhu, S. J. 
Ter-Akopian, G. M. 
Oganessian, Yu. Ts. 
Daniel, A. V. 
Rasmussen, J. O. 
Lee, I. Y. 
Cole, J. D. 
Drigert, M. W. 
Ma, W.-C. 
Issue Date: 2001
Citation: Nuclear Physics A. 682:1-4 (2001) 79c-87c
Abstract: Identification of the levels in 160Sm and 162Gd in spontaneous fission studies led to the discovery of a new phenomenon, shifted identical bands (SIB). SIBs are yrast bands in neighboring nuclei (a,b) with moments of inertia which are identical when shifted by a constant amount [kappa] = -[Delta]J1/J1, so J1a(1+[kappa])= J1b, from 2+ to 8+ and higher to 16+. Building on that work, an analysis of yrast bands in even-even proton to neutron rich Xe to Pb nuclei was carried out. In over 700 comparisons, fifty-five SIBs were found for ground bands in stable to the most neutron rich Ce - W nuclei with [kappa] between 1.5% and 13%, where the spread in [kappa] is less than ±1%, and only four identical bands ([kappa][approximate, equals]0). As examples, we find for 158Sm-160Gd (from 2+ to 10+), [kappa] = -3.2+0.1-0.2% (where the ± is the total spread in [kappa] from -3.1 to -3.4) and [Delta]J2/J2 = 3.0±1.2%; 158Sm-160Sm, 3.4+0.5-0.3%; and 154Nd-158Gd, -10.4±0.2%. After the shifts, these J1 and J2 values have smaller spreads than do the outstanding examples of identical bands. The J1 values were fitted to a variable moment of inertia model with parameters J0 and C whose values correlate with the SIB J1 values. The SIBs are not correlated either with deformation, E(4+)/E(2+), or the NpNn product. Some excited bands are SIBs and IBs in proton rich Pt-Pb where nuclear shape coexistence is important.
DOI: 10.1016/S0375-9474(00)00625-4
Rights: openAccess
Appears in Collections:FCTUC Física - Artigos em Revistas Internacionais

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat
file89b3aa9756e84c5bbf57f01e41cf67e2.pdf601.79 kBAdobe PDFView/Open
Show full item record


checked on Oct 2, 2021

Page view(s) 50

checked on Oct 8, 2021

Download(s) 20

checked on Oct 8, 2021

Google ScholarTM




Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.